I’ve had this Paella recipe kicking around for quite awhile, but it took purchasing some fancy Spanish sausage to kick my butt into gear.
The rice is deliciously flavoured with Saffron and the sausage becomes candied and sweet, pouring it’s aroma into the kitchen.
The best thing about paella is that you really can throw almost anything into it – peppers, peas, seafood…you name it. It’s the perfect dish to show off your creative side.
My favourite part is the warm, crispy, sticky rice that surrounds the side of the pan.
I cooked mine in a deep, cast-iron pot..however I will admit it is probably better in one of those special paella pans!
Ingredients (for 5 large servings):
– 45 mL olive oil
– 1 1/8 teaspoon saffron
– 1L Chicken stock
– 1/2 white onion (diced)
– 1/2 red pepper (diced)
– 1/2 green pepper (diced)
– 2 cloves garlic (minced)
– 1 large chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
– 3 oz chorizo (sliced into 3mm thick portions)
– 1 cup green peans
– 340g Arborio rice
1. Slice chicken (or cut into chunks) and season with salt and pepper. Pour 2 Tablespoons of oil into the pan and heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, then remove from pan.
2. Pour remaining oil into pan and add onion and peppers. Saute on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and saffron and continue to saute for 1 minute.
3. Add chorizo and rice and stir coating everything in the oil.
4. Add chicken stock and chicken. Cover the pan and reduce to low heat. Do not stir rice.
5. Cook for 10-12 minutes. Then add peas and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Dinner is served!
Brilliant, yellow, sticky rice. Soft chicken. Spicy sausage. Soft peppers. This dish has enough colour to cheer anyone up!