It’s that time again. If you don’t already have your calendar marked, mark it – because the Big Taste is about to start.
Basically, it’s a 1 week event where some of Calgary’s best and most creative restaurants showcase their talents. It’s about the only time of year when you can get a wicked 3 course meal for $35 (without skimping on quality).
You can select between lunch, dinner, and gourmet menus – and reservations are most definitely recommended. Beware – things fill up quick, so log into OpenTable asap. I myself have a few booked already!
Head on over to the Big Taste YYC and scope out the menus!
If you’re in need of a few suggestions, here are my top joints to check out:
1. Anejo – $15 gets you housemade salsa & guac, tacos, and gelato (by the makers of the finest stuff – Fiasco). If you ask me, it’s a pretty wicked deal for some pretty wicked Mexican food.
2. Charcut – One of Calgary’s best, their lunches are perfect for any professional get-together. Lunch features parmesan frites, a daily rotisserie or sandwich, and a bag of warm cookies. It’s a no-brainer.
3. Brookers – be prepared for a food coma. I’ve never been and it does look like a bit of a dive, but it has excellent reviews. BTW – If you’re more of a brisket fan, check out their dinner menu. Besides, a warm brownie for dessert? They get me.
4. Market – Soup or salad, sandwich, and dessert. Easy peasy. You can really taste just how fresh their ingredients are.
5. Wurst – Traditional german food.
1. Black Pig Bistro – just rated Avenue magazine’s best new restaurant of the year, this is sure to be one of this year’s most popular picks. I myself have a reservation booked for this week!
2. Blink – another of Avenue’s best, this menu looks unreal. There are 3 choices for each course, which include roast pork and an apple spiced cake.
3. Cibo – I was just hear last night, and the menu is actually what inspired this post. A rack of pork and chocolate cake? Done deal. Besides, Cibo is easily one of my favourite restaurants in this city.
4. Barcelona Tavern – one of the few 5 course meals for $35. Bring your appetite!
5. Il Sogno – I seriously can’t speak higher of this restaurant. I love it. They seriously kill it (and it’s one of Avenue’s best this year).
1. Charcut – A 5 course menu for $65. Charcuterie, rotisserie meat, and a salted caramel pudding for dessert. Check it out and tell me you don’t want to book right away.
2. Downtownfood – if you’re more of a risk-taker, Downtownfood has a 6 course Chef’s choice menu.
3. Posto Pizzeria – Anyone who knows me will know that Posto is hands down my favourite pizza spot. They do Italian right, and this 6 course menu looks like they’ll prove it.
4. The Living Room – this is the spot to go for innovative fine-dining. Looking at the entrees, you’ve got some tough-decisions ahead of you.
PS – Parc Cafe & Brasserie may not be part of Big Taste, but it does open up Wednesday! You can book reservations through Open Table now!